What to do After Being Charged With a DUI
Getting charged with a DUI (Driving Under the Influence) or DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) is overwhelming. You might hesitate to react or share the news with family and friends. It is typical to be fearful as this is a serious charge, one that could negatively affect your professional life. You might even face jail time.
Tempted you might be to push off facing these charges, it is in your own best interest to act as quickly as possible. The judicial system is already processing your charges, and you’ll want to give yourself as much time as possible to prepare.
Assess Your Options
It’s not uncommon for some lawyers to hear DUI and immediately start work on a guilty plea. That might not be the best approach. Every case is different.
Only choose a lawyer who is willing and prepared to do the following:
- Analyze the traffic stop that led to your arrest, and identify out any issues
- Handle all pretrial litigation and be prepared to try your case in front of a jury
- Skillfully cross-examine arresting officers about the vehicle stop
- Question the blood or breath test
- Make sure you completely understand your options for DUI defense, as well as how DUI expungement works
In many instances, you may be able to avoid jail time and/or a license suspension.
Get the Right Phoenixville DUI Attorney
At LUONGO BELLWOAR LLP, Tom Bellwoar is highly experienced in handling DUI cases for Chester County residents. He has been representing clients in this area since 1993.
- He was been repeatedly recognized as a top lawyer by Main Line Today.
- Tom is a former prosecutor and has plenty of experience taking cases to trial as a criminal defense lawyer. Specifically, he has experience taking cases before the Chester County Courts and against the Chester County District Attorney’s Office.
- Mr. Bellwoar has tried cases for clients who have been arrested for their second, third and fourth DUIs and has handled numerous Homicide by Vehicle While DUI cases.
- You can find our offices in downtown West Chester, where we offer flexible appointment schedules.
For more information on your options following a DUI arrest, contact us and schedule your free consultation.