Even though there are great organizations to provide support to crime victims, one of the few ways to receive a monetary settlement is to hire a lawyer to represent you in a civil case. The experienced attorneys at LUONGO BELLWOAR LLP passionately fight for crime victim justice.
Major Victories by Our Crime Victims Civil Justice Rights Lawyers
- Huge Child Sexual Assault Win – Luongo Bellwoar LLP has settled a case against a Malvern, Chester County, PA, ballet that involved a minor who was serially sexually assaulted by a ballet instructor at the studio and at recitals. The plaintiff was a student who was assaulted over a number of years and revealed the abuse after the instructor was arrested for similar conduct in another jurisdiction. Once the lawsuit commenced, the ballet studio settled by tendering the limits of its insurance coverage to the plaintiff.
- A very substantial confidential settlement with Massage Envy Franchising on behalf of 7 individual clients who were sexually assaulted by a massage therapist in West Chester, PA.
- $4.4 million-A car crash resulting in the death of two passengers, and two others injured, after Applebee’s over served the driver of their vehicle, resulting in a settlement in excess of $4.4 million. Read more about this case.
- $1.7 million-The wrongful death of a young man involved in a motor vehicle accident resulting in a $1.7 million dollar settlement.
- An accidental shooting in a Chester County bar where our client was rendered completely blind resulting in a substantial confidential settlement. Read more about this case.
- Six Figure Recovery-Injuries from hospital negligence resulting in partial paralysis resulting in a $750,000 settlement.
Rights of Crime Victims in Pennsylvania
For a victim of crime, life may never be the same. Crime doesn’t just affect the victim’s life, but the lives of their loved ones.
Government and non-profit organizations devoted to helping victims of crime do exist. These types of programs may offer counseling and help victims get back on their feet. Some organizations may also help family members deal with the devastating effects of the crime, such as the Pennsylvania Victims Compensation Assistance Program, which helps cover the cost of medical bills for crime victims.
Unfortunately, few victims of crime ever get monetary compensation for their injuries, which may result in severe financial consequences. The crime victim lawyers at LUONGO BELLWOAR LLP are devoted to changing this.
Civil Crime Victim Cases
Civil personal injury law may, in many instances, provide victims of crime a civil battleground where they can find justice.
A crime victim is entitled for compensation against more than just the criminal defendant. Even if the defendant is found not guilty in a criminal case, our lawyers can help establish the background for a civil lawsuit. A victim does not need to wait for the criminal case to be resolved before filing a civil suit. Victims of crime can file a lawsuit against any entity or business that contributed to or caused the crime. A victim of abuse may also be a victim of neglect of the business or organization that allowed for the crime to happen.
There is no law in Pennsylvania that prohibits a crime victim from pursuing a civil case just because the State is prosecuting a criminal matter. These two popular cases demonstrate this very idea:
- The family of Ron Goldman won a civil wrongful death suit against O.J. Simpson for the death of their son and brother, even though Simpson was found criminally innocent of Mr. Goldman’s killing.
- The family of Bonnie Lee Blakely sued Robert Blake for her wrongful death, even though Mr. Blake was found innocent of her murder in the criminal case.
- Sexual Abuse
- Sexual Assault
- Premises Liability
- Wrongful Death
- Negligent Security
- Negligent Hiring/Retention
- Gross Negligence
- Intentional/Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress
- Punitive Damages
- School Districts
- Religious Institutions
- Residential and Commercial Landlords
- Property Owners
- Property Management Companies
- Shopping Centers
- Child Care Centers
Victims of Abuse
The lawyers at LUONGO BELLWOAR LLP have experience dealing with the sensitive nature of abuse crimes.
- Elder Abuse
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Child Abuse
- Sexual Abuse
- Sexual Assault
- Priest Abuse
- Assault by a Massage Therapist
Victims of Neglect
Attorney Thomas B. Bellwoar
Before focusing his practice on representing crime victims in the civil courtroom, Tom was a litigator for the Chester County, PA, District Attorney’s office where he tried a wide variety of misdemeanor and felony cases including murder, rape, assault, robbery, theft, drug delivery and possession. The experience of interacting with victims, victim advocates and law enforcement on a daily basis as a prosecutor formed the foundation of his passion to seek justice and compensation for his clients.
Tom and his partner, Stan Luongo, are members of the National Crime Victims Bar Association and have represented victims in cases involving negligent security, accidental discharge of a firearm, sexual assault and molestation. They have successfully sued bars, restaurants, churches, schools, private employers and individuals with results exceeding $2,000,00.00. Tom is currently working alongside Brian Kent, Esq., representing multiple victims who were sexually assaulted by a massage therapist employed by a national massage and spa franchise.
Reviews From Our Clients
“Tom, Stan and Nicole were there for me and my husband throughout a very long and protracted civil lawsuit that they filed on our behalf. They had patience and perseverance throughout the nearly 3 years of litigation that we went through. When I was ready to throw in the towel, they gave me guidance I needed, and most of all showed me that I had the strength to persevere throughout the difficult times. The positive outcome I had from the litigation is a testament to the tenacity of all 3 of these highly professional, compassionate, and skilled attorneys and paralegal. I am so glad that I was referred to them, and I now have my own personal law firm for anything that I may need! I highly recommend them!” –A VERY happy client!–L.M.
“My sincere appreciation goes to Tom Bellwoar, Stan Luongo and Nicole Werner. Each of you were instrumental in providing a large settlement to my long awaited and vastly publicized issue. You displayed wisdom, integrity, and decency for the opinion of others. You explained the unexplainable with a talent for dissecting legal jargon. Its’ finally over. Thank you. My very best to you and the Luongo Bellwoar LLC family.” –R.S. and J.D.
“I was recently involved in a high stakes, high pressure personal injury case. To say it was difficult is an understatement. Tom and Stan demonstrated unwavering professionalism and dedication to my cause from day one, and continue to give me legal advice, assurance and even friendship; they care about me even though the case is over. These men never gave up on me, even when I gave up on myself. They fought for me when I was unable to fight for myself. I am forever grateful. I have my lawyers for life! Tom and Stan have the experience, dedication and tenacity to resolve any legal conflicts successfully, as they demonstrated for me.” – L.M.
If you or someone you know have been the victim of a crime schedule a free consultation to talk about your legal options. Edgar Larrea (610-633-2753) is available to assist with Spanish translation during meetings. Talk with us today.